Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crappy Virgin media router: advice needed on replacement

kropotkin

libcom
I have a virgin router with my package that is a combined router/modem.
They updated the device about 8 months ago and the port-forwarding stopped working. I've tried everything to get it back up and working: resetting, reinstalling firmware etc. My network is now invisible to the outside world which is very annoying as I like to be able to add and start torrents on my raspberry-pi serverette from work.

Gumtree has loads of cheap routers/modems from different companies (virgin, sky etc). Does anyone have any knowledge about what is particularly good? Is there a model supplied by some company that has a hackable firmware to give it more features like forwarding? Are the integral cable modems workable on different suppliers networks (virgin and sky, for example)?
I know that the other opton is to just put the thing in modem mode and get a wifi router as well, but there are enough extension sockets running off the one wall plug as it is and I worry that one more will destroy Bristol and plunge us into the dark ages.

Any advice?

Replacing the modem itself will mean you have to talk to virgin to register the device, and depending on model and what speed broadband you have, it could be a pain. So personally I would go down the separate router path.

Don't bother with firmware or other modems.

There is nothing wrong with the superhub so long as you use it in modem mode (it is as you say unusable as a router). Which is just as well, because as others have mentioned you can only use a VM supplied modem on the VM network.

Choose a cable router (even a cheapo £20 TP-Link job) and follow the instructions at http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

If you need help give me a shout.

I use a Linksys E4200 with the Superhub 1 in modem only mode and it has been rock solid. I have http, ftp, and SSH port forwards to my home server, and have not rebooted it in years.

Think of the superhub as a modem, and do the port forwards on your own router and you'll be fine...

Yeah - what everyone else says - just use the virgin gear in modem mode - I use an old linksys wrt54 (tomatoed) hooked up to the hub via the electrical circuit - then run everything off that - Atv - Nas - everything else.

Because they are all shit.

I'm not sure if it is the firmware or hardware, but what ever they are doing VM sure know how to make the most unreliable/unflexable routers ever.

Getting a replacement will not solve the problem kropotkin is having since he as after the port forwarding rules which you cant set on a VM superhub, the option is simply not there. Getting a replacement will mean that you have the same problem since the firmware and/or hardware will be the same.

Using your own router in modem mode is the only option for port forwarding.

Back
Top Bottom